Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A gift to my artist/writer

Before I did the AW for the first time three years ago, I moved from using small journals, sometimes hard bound but always brightly colorful to large, blank 9x12 inch hard spiral bound sketch books.

There were a few reasons, the biggest being I was tired of fitting my handwriting exactly into the lines on the page. I wanted to write with fat crayola markers in bold colors (a pre AW gift to my artist who felt that there were not enough markers in her childhood) and they just didn't fit in the compact lines of the compact journals. They had to be hardbound, because I didn't want to search around for a hard book to put under the journal. They also had to be spiral bound so I could write on the whole page without having to break the binding.

I always got nervous as I neared the end of one book - did I have a spare? These could only be found at art supply stores and at $16 a piece they felt expensive when I felt poor. At the most I'd buy two at a time to help ease the transition.

Last week I gave my inner writer a gift. After half an hour of searching, I found this site: http://www.jerrysartarama.com/
And after half an hour of searching the brand names of the six types of 9x12 books I've used in the past five years turned up this one:
Cachet Flexicraft wirebound sketch book, 9x12, 75 sheets
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply/catalogs/0063097000000

It does the job, quite nicely, especially at $7.49 a piece instead of $16 and no sales tax!!!

I splurged and bought a CASE! A case will last me about a year...a case is a guarantee to my creator/writer that we aren't going to run out of space to write - there is no need to conserve words at all!

They arrived yesterday - a small box packed into a larger box with packing paper. I guess they wanted to be sure the books didn't break.

I swear I heard my inner writer tap dancing at the sight...



To my artist/writer/creator...this is better than winning the lottery.

8 Comments:

Blogger Alison at Wardrobe Oxygen said...

What a wonderful find!

In college, I had an English class that made me use the same size, but with a stiff binding. We had to make a collage page a week representing the seven days. I remember that book costing an arm and a leg, loving the weight of the paper and the size, but unable to stomach the price. A spiral binding is so much more freeing!

Enjoy your gift, all that beautiful blank paper waiting... just waiting for your inner artist.

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are beautiful -- good for you!

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I am drooling. To see a box with that many sketchbooks, well, creativity, either written or drawn can be everlasting!!!!!! They look thick, and need I say, unbreakable....? he he

5:02 PM  
Blogger Kerstin said...

Hello Julie,

Thanks for visiting my blog and your thoughful feedback, it was much appreciated :)

I love journals so I am very thrilled at this link you provide, thanks for sharing this wonderful find with us! Being someone who is a bit of a stickler for effective and harmonius organisation I love the idea of having a whole set of the same journals.

Take care, Kerstin

9:11 AM  
Blogger Jana B said...

Wow, I'm drooling over this one too. Hmmm... once I get a bank account going, I may have to order one of those to try!!!! Glad you found them! :)

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hell yeah! this is awesome! what a way to feel the abundance. :-)

i started writing in sketchbooks after my first aw experience for a similar reason...the lines are just too confining. yay for a box full of creative potential!

11:18 AM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh this is so great. love it. my "regular" journal is one just like this but i must say i like this price quiet a bit...thanks for sharing the link. happy writing to you.

11:14 AM  
Blogger meghan said...

Hello,

A CASE of notebooks?! *sigh!* what an amazing gift to give yourself. Amazing!!

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home