Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Coming home to the artist's way

Just today I joined a virtual Artist's Way group.

I snuck in under the first week as I just discovered the group when I went to www.loobylu.com and I'm not even sure why.

The irony, the serendipity of it all is that I'm listening to a tape on writing by Julia Cameron and Natalie Goldberg as I'm working on a first-trimester of a writing project. One of my dearest friends (who shall remain blogless, because she has no blog) told me when I shared the idea with her, said my baby project is like the first trimester of pregnancy...I should only share it with people whom I would tell if I miscarried.

After listening to this tape for the past few days, having Julia mention morning pages over and over and Natalie mention a writing practice over and over again, the idea stuck in my head.

So before I lept up and asked if I could join the AW group, I read the Intro and the first chapter. It felt so...familiar.

I've never given up writing morning pages. I didn't write them so much in the last few months because ... (good excuses to follow) ... I have a toddler, I have a part time job, I have a partner... but the reality is I don't put me first. I don't think of myself as important enough in the equation.

I put spending time with my wonderful little girl ahead of me, I put work ahead of me.

Then this fabulous baby of an idea (which I'm still not ready to share with the Internet!) arrived in my morning pages and it just won't go away. It needs love, it needs support. Frankly, it needs me.

Tomorrow my goal is to get up before I need to and write those three pages. Saturday my goal is to get my teenage baby sitter for a couple hours and take my artist on a date.

It's good to be home.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I love about you is that you jump soul-first into life and it's always a joy to see you jump into something good. Good for you!

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's just wonderful julie. i'm very happy to have you along on this journey. and i'm very glad to hear that you're taking some time for yourself and taking care to protect your dreams.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Marilyn said...

I totally agree that sometimes we need to nurture and germinate our creative ideas...to let them sprout into seedlings...before sharing them. Glad you're in the AW group.

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the Artist's Way! I've been thinking about it again lately, and in fact, just came across my book last night.

Have been thinking of reaching out here in Reno/Sparks to start a little group... because I, too, think it's time to revisit this book!

--Pamela

1:35 PM  
Blogger ~ Artist said...

I like that idea, not to tell anyone about your new project unless they are the kind of person you would tell if you miscarried... I really, really like that.

That tape sounds interesting. Did you mention the name?

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home