Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Week 3: Tasks

I am struggling with a few of the tasks this week. In #3 I am supposed to take a look at my habits, but I couldn't think of any rotten habits. I don't watch much TV - the only thing I regularly watch is Charmed at 8PM on Sundays. Sometimes I sneak in a 6PM rerun of Charmed on the weekdays, but not often.

The only "habit" I could think of is that I put nearly everything else before self-care, before me. I guess this is a habit, and one it's time to break.

The payoff is that I have a "worthy" excuse to not write. I'm too busy, you see...

I also got stuck on people I admire and people who I wish I'd met who were dead. I always think these people are supposed to be famous. I don't really admire anyone famous.

I thought for a moment of who I'd like to hang out with for a while in eternity and I thought about my two great-grandmothers.

My Great Grandma Beulah, my dad's mom's mother, she died when I was eighteen and away at college. She was spunky, feisty, and full of surprises. Once I remember her putting on my brother's loafers and dancing with him in the living room. I've been told she came across the US in a covered wagon and also that she met my great-grandfather on a steamboat on the Mississippi River. She like him, but said that he would have to quit gambling and drinking if he wanted to marry her. I'd love the chance to talk with her for a while longer.

My Great Grandma Goller, my mom's mom's mom, she died when I was young - like elementary school young. I vaguely remember the mobile home she lived in nearby. She was married four or five times and at one point owned a boarding home. She was independent and self reliant. She was a Christian Scientist who healed herself if she got sick and was well into her eighties when she passed. I'd love to talk to her for a long afternoon as the shadows drag along the floor. I'd ask her about her religion, about her life, where she grew up and what life was like for her.

Both of these women were independent, self-reliant, spoke their own minds, and were both born in the late 1800's when women weren't "supposed" to be that way.

3 Comments:

Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

I love this glimpse into your great-grandmothers. Fantastic. They sound like two ladies who would have lots to share and teach...thanks for introducing them.
I have to admit to being a bit behind on week 3. I am doing the morning pages but am behind on the reading.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Alison at Wardrobe Oxygen said...

I too got stuck on people I wish I met or would like to hang with for eternity. Also those who I admire. I too mentioned relatives that died when I was young or I just heard great stories about as that they died before I was born.

Wonderful descriptions of your great grandmothers - I wish I had met them (my grandmother died when I was 6 months old, was a strong woman, a Christian Scientist and sounds like she would have gotten along with your Great Grandma Goller quite well!)

5:56 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

oh, i think your great-grandmothers are a perfect answer for that question!! i loved reading about them. i get stuck on that question too.

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home