Tuesday, January 31, 2006

AW Week 4: Reading deprivation

I've missed reading blogs this week during the AW week 4 of reading deprivation.

Up to this point I've been reading a lot as I've researched my new book. I also read the way some people use TV to relax at the end of a day. My right hand has been aching from a lot of work typing and a lot of morning page writing so reading gives it a rest.

I miss reading! I miss letting words take over my head - someone else's words - and losing myself in reading.

But last night I was obedient - I picked up a blanket I've been crocheting for a year now and crocheted another row. Then I tried meditating for the first time in God knows how long. I'm a rusty and distracted meditator.

Speaking of God, and then back to what to do if I'm not reading...

I'm having a hard time with God and religion lately. This keeps coming up in the AW with all of the God stuff mentioned, but I'm realizing I don't know what I believe. I always assumed I believed in some God, but what if there is more than one? Native Americans believed in many; Native Indians (as in the ones who are from India) believed in many. Then sometimes believing there are many is more daunting - I mean - which do I make which kind of requests? I don't say prayers, that word prayer leaves me feeling unsettled lately, so I just call them requests.

Anyway...it's just another question without an immediate answer.

Back to reading deprivation. I can see it's a good thing, because ideas I had a while back are coming up and saying "hey, remember me?" Here are a couple things I have thought to do if I am not reading:

watch a disney movie with Ava
(cheating, i bet, but since I usually read AND watch a movie, it's nice to do just one thing)
crochet
meditate
practice yoga on the living room floor
play legos with Ava
call a friend I haven't talked to in months
come up with original ideas instead of the ideas others have written already

What has everyone else done instead of read????

1 Comments:

Blogger Otter said...

What have I been doing? You "caught" me....I read your blog today for the first time. And I also made some handmade cards and some ATCs.
This whole reading deprivation thing seems silly to me. Personally asking me not to read is the equivalent to asking a recovering alcoholic to hang around in a bar or an anorexic to just skip a few meals. Its not healthy b/c I use to deprive myself of reading and finally I'm in recovery, doing well...reading again and Cameron says not to read. What the heck?????

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home