Friday, February 24, 2006

Daily ramblings

I had to read a few other blogs before I got motivated myself...

Blue dog ... I hope you feel better. Being sick sucks and it usually happens to me when I need a time out.

Kat ... thanks for sharing about birds. I got interested after I read about birds in the Animal Totem book (previous buffalo post) and then I wanted to know what birds so I bought a couple bird books. Your description is wonderful!

In Otter Space ... loved the bit about Jamie the Buffalo Nickel artist!

And now I can write something new!

My triangular family has left me as the solo point. Just for the weekend, maybe just for tonight, but the house is just so vacant without T and our lovely toddler toddling around. They've gone up to Tahoe to join friends or maybe just find trouble of their own. I'm at home because my yoga training starts tonight and there are twenty-three minutes before I leave to go find parking to sit in a yoga studio and figure out just what I signed up for.

I'm excited, but almost bored with the long long minutes between now and my time of departure. I never dated much (being a serial monogamist type), but this is like waiting for a date to arrive.

This week has been such a high, such a series of revelations that now feels a bit unfamiliar and empty. I will have precious hours tomorrow morning before my next class - hours that aren't filled with picking up after, feeding, changing, walking, entertaining my toddler and I have time for an AD but don't know what to do with that time!

If they're not back until Sunday I'm going to find some kind of evening play. I have this craving for theater, high school theater if I can manage it (someone's blog gave me the idea - forgive me for not remembering which one!) because I want to see something a bit rough, unpolished, and, thank you Julia Cameron, imperfect.

Did I mention that this week while my Mom was in town helping with Ava that we painted one of my living room walls yellow? It's a goldenrod shade of yellow, called "colonel" by Kelly Moore but having never met a colonel, don't know if they are usually that shade!

I've been wanting to paint that wall - my fireplace wall - that color of yellow for over a year. It's beautiful. Midday when the afternoon light meanders through the front window it reminds me of the light in Tuscany. T even noticed it this afternoon. The room now says, sit down, rest, stay a while. It's not a big room - in San Francisco style it's maybe 10x12 feet or so but we've finally made it comfortable. In my world if the room isn't comfortable, what's the point?

Yesterday I talked to my sweet friend B, who's husband is recovering from some horrid cancer that took over his tongue (he wasn't a smoker or a user of any kind of tobacco thus making this all the more strange) and she was having a rough kind of day. I told her when she wanted to yell and scream to call me. These are my waking hours, I told her, just call, yell, scream, I don't mind a bit. Sometimes we just need friends we can call and bitch to - all the better because we're not angry at them. I told her it was easier than making her food!

I have eleven more minutes to go before I start my adventure and now it's only six because I hopped over and read Dilly Dilly and I'm signing off now. Happy Friday Night!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, J! My ears needed to hear you yesterday. Thanks for being in such a good spot while I'm in this crummy spot. It is a great blessing to me. Good luck and enjoy the weirdness of all the many changes in your life and the stillness of your newly Tuscanized dwelling.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Otter said...

Julie,
What a great gift you gave your friend. We all need that kind loving ear of a friend.
I can relate to the not knowing what to do with yourself now that the house is quiet. When my kids were that age I experienced that same sense of loss and mystery of what to do with myself when they all disappeared with her daddy for a while. Pls. enjoy your crum-free, diaper-free moment.
Yellow is such a calm yet happy color. I think it evokes the energy of the sun but also makes me feel cozy. Hope you enjoy tapping into your Creative-self this weekend.

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I painted my whole bedroom a Tuscan yellow, and textured it with a beautiful golden finish. It's a glorious color, isn't it?

Good luck with the yoga training! I am in mourning since losing my favorite yoga teacher from my gym - haven't really been back since. Too depressing without her. ;^)

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home