Sunday, August 28, 2005

Se habla espanol

I wish I had something poignant and meaningful to write after just over a week off from being either a computer geek or a mom, but I don't. I do want to say that where we were in Cancun really was nearly an hour south of Cancun at an all-inclusuve resort that wasn't. Wasn't an all-inclusive, that is.

T bitched mercilessly about how it was a disappointment (of course, in more colorful words) compared to his trip to Jamaica, and I didn't think it was too bad except for the manmade belly button of a beach and the fact that I couldn't snorkel anywhere interesting without having to pay more money than I would have in the US. I thought Mexico was supposed to be an American dollar's dream come true, but in fact, Quintana Roo has figured out how to wrestle every last American dollar out of even the most stingy hand under the guise of entertainment.

T was ready to leave on Sunday, three days into our seven day trip, but I said that if I went home my vacation from Motherhood would abruptly cease. I had carte blanche to drink without guilt and resist the urge to select only food that Ava could eat and also cut up the food into tiny pieces.

The ultimate highlights of my trip were a woman named Karla who taught Spanish classes once a day and finally gave me the confidence to make random Spanish grammar catastrophes and not even wince. Plus she taught me all the tasty words she could think of and a fabulous saying that I won't share because there may be children within fifty feet of this posting. Ask me though, I'll tell.

The second highlight that came because of an unfortunate arguement between the water of Mexico and my digestive system, was that I got to read a whole grown up book without pictures in one day. At long last I read Kite Runner and it was such a fabulous grown up book with no rhyming words or technicolor pictures on the pages and I felt, well, like a grown up.

I missed my little girl, don't get me wrong, I missed her something wicked, but not enough to hop on a plane and come back. She was cared for probably even better than by me at the hands of my sister-in-law. She took a long nap at the same time every day; she went to bed without much arguement at the same time every night. I would love for that to happen at home.

T and I both learned that we are not all-inclusive resort type people. I know that I am more the type to have a boarding pass in hand and arrive at a foreign destination with only my first one or two nights reserved and then improv the rest. This way could suit T as well, as he tends to feel trapped after a couple nights in one place. I learned that when you go on vacation with a six other of people that are all used to being the Chief, that it's hard to decide what to do and someone ends up getting offended if you don't want to eat at the same time as everyone else.

Now, as I aimlessly sprint from the beaten track, I did have a good time, stomach upsets notwithstanding. For a whole week I didn't have to worry about putting Ava to bed, did she nap, what did she eat.

For a whole week, I got to be me. I'm looking forward to the next trip and seeing myself again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home