Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Baby step diet change

Five days ago I had a revelation. I've been reading a book called Ultra Prevention because the founder of the brand-spankin-new startup company I've joined is friends with the author and it's that friendship that sparked the idea for the new company. I can't spill on the new company yet but you'll be the first to know when I can (think "healthy foods" ... oh no, I've said too much...)

Of course the book elaborates on the twelve million reasons to avoid processed foods ... especially those nutritionally bankrupt processed white foods (the "white menace" the book calls them) - white flour, white sugar, white rice, and other white things I can't remember. And of course (I say of course because none of this is news to me because I've been studying it for like the last 8 years) there's a "diet" in the book where for 6 weeks the goal is to eradicate those foods from the diet and other stuff that is cool but I'm not going to go into now. And I've tried, in the past, to kill off all those nutritionally void foods but after 1.3 days I give up. It's just too hard to kill off everything at once.

And I LIKE vegetables. I love fruit in all forms. I cut corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup out of my diet over a month ago. I know without a doubt that all those processed fiber-less foods are not good for my body and this book even spelled out what they do to what organs, what diseases they cause, etc., which is cool. I like information.

So. About the revelation. It wasn't a blinding flash of insight, more like a headline on a newspaper someone was reading ahead of me in line at lunch that caught my eye. I thought, for once, I'd just stop eating one thing off that list. Just one. I would just stop eating wheat. I wouldn't try and kill off all caffeine, all dairy, all sugar in its many guises, all rice, all everything I know is not nutritionally best for my body...I would just stop eating wheat and see how that went.

I'm on day four. I don't miss it too much...fortunately there are lots of wheat-free foods these days so while Ava was eating multi grain waffles for breakfast I was eating wheat free ones. Instead of eating regular cookies, I bought some wheat free ones at the healthy grocery store yesterday. Instead of trying to do all or nothing and failing each time...because really, who can do that forever? This time I'm just doing a little bit.

And for my little effort, I got a great big verbal pat on the back by my homeopath. She acknowledged that by doing a little my body will support letting go of other things on the not-good-for-the-body food list. Or she said something like that.

Mostly I like that after I eat I'm not so lethargic, not so congested, my eyes aren't itchy. I like that after breakfast I don't need a nap anymore.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for baby steps! Any little bit helps. Good for you for making a LITTLE change. Little changes last longer.

Wheat-free can be delicious. One of my dear friends made me a wheat free lunch today and it was completely delicious, satisfying, and lovely. Wheat was not missed, especially when in such delightful company.

There are always so many reasons to be grateful.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home