Monday, October 23, 2006

Paring things down

When we last left our heroine (me) I had two jobs - my old one I didn't like but felt obligated to give obscene amount of notice before I left (2-1/2 months) - and my new one I like but didn't have time to do properly.

Well, as of last Saturday I was down to one job - the new one only. It's just starting to sink in that I only have two emails to check instead of three (personal, job #1, & job #2) and when I got a call on my mobile that clearly identified itself as a client site of my previous job, I didn't have to answer it. I didn't even have to feel guilty about not answering it. I hit the key to send that call right to voice mail, which the caller didn't leave, thankfully.

One job. I hardly knew how to manage my time today with only one company's work to do.

Plus, last week, which must have been the paring down of Julie's responsibilities week, I also talked to the owner of Elevation yoga studio about my mom & baby class that after five weeks has seen no moms and no babies. It's on the opposite side of town from me and I have to go there regardless of the lack of moms and babies, because there might possibly be one. So we agreed to cancel the class for now except a promotional one for a large, prominent San Francisco mother's group in a few weeks (where they have to pre-register - yay!). After that, we'll see. I really wanted to quit altogether, but super-responsible me, putting others wants ahead of me, said I would wait and see. A part of me, a loud part of me, keeps saying in my head, maybe after that I can find her another mom and baby yoga instructor.

I am teaching mom and baby yoga though - at another studio that is a mere 1 mile away from my house. It's a great space and with minimal advertising except posting on one key mailing list there were three mom and baby pairs at my first class three weeks ago. It's been a few more since, but not too many, which is perfect since teaching yoga is new enough to me and managing to remember some sort of reasonable sequence is hard to do when I'm pacifying one or two upset babies, much less twenty.

I learned something phenomenally simple and crucial this week though, and that is if I don't have enough yoga for myself during a week, it's much harder for me to teach yoga to others. If I don't have enough yoga for me, I don't have any to give away to my students. So I'm (trying to) fill up with practicing more yoga especially now that I'm down to one part-time job.

I also subbed a restorative class last weekend that was delicious. A few of the students were a bit dazed coming out, with that glossy eyed look of someone who just woke up from a really good nap, and I figured I did okay. I love teaching restorative - there's something great seeing people relax and rest.

So what's really strange about today is that now, at 9:51PM on a Monday I haven't fallen into an exhaustive sleep. For the last few months, or maybe the last year, I've fallen asleep at 8:30 or 9PM with my daughter. I lay down with her to help her fall asleep and I crash right along with her. I wondered why I needed 9-10 hours of sleep a night but did it anyway. I was tired! Now I wonder if this later night energy will stick around. Maybe it's the effect of working less? We shall see, my treasured audience, we shall see.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Otter said...

Julie,

Simplifying is an awesome thing. I hope you enjoy your new found free time.

And way to go on not feeling guilty.

Lisa

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home