Friday, March 15, 2002

Being fed without making food

Five blogless days. Feels like forever or a moment ago.

I've spent the last five days in fabulous Mesquite, NV being nursed back to health by my Momisan. Also in attendance were my step-dad (Bill), and grandparents. It was absolute bliss to not make a single meal decision once in five days and yet meals arrived at regular intervals three times a day.

They live (part-time) in a house that's on a golf course. There's a golf-pond right in front of the house which is home for two white swans and one black swan. Poor black swan swimming all alone because his mate was killed by a golf ball. I felt bad for him, wandering around the pond sometimes following the ducks, sometimes following the white swans, sometimes just swimming all by himself. He's cute though, and quite friendly. The male white swan tried to bite me one day as I was fetching a feather from the side of the pond. His name is, appropriately, Meanie.

One day we went out to the driving range and I remembered I don't know how to make the balls go very far with a golf club. My Grandma was supervising me and suggested to aim for the grass right in front of the ball instead of the ball. That worked for two strokes and then I started thinking about it too much. Putting green was fun though as long as I didn't get too serious about it. Went out to a shooting range and watched my Mom, Bill, and Grandpa kill many innocent orange skeets. Bang! Bang! They wanted my Grandma and I to keep score but we had no idea what we were doing so we made them keep their own scores.

I also learned (for the thousandth time) to play cribbage. I beat my Grandpa twice out of three games, and he didn't believe me when I said I play just to play, not to win. He wondered then why I didn't let him win?

All in all, I spent the week being totally amused by my family. I really feel like I am the luckiest human on the planet. It was so nice to slow down. And now, I'm grateful to be back home with the sushicats and I'm going to try to remember to keep slowing down so I don't get sick again.

Dave did an awesome job watching my sushicats, they didn't seem too excited when I walked in the door. Thanks Dave!

p.s. Also saw many Grackles (a black bird smaller than a crow, larger than a blackbird, with a wedge shaped tail) - Grackle means overcoming excess and emotional life congestion. My book asks if I've been congested lately (uh-oh) if I've been holding in my emotions. Well, perhaps...
p.p.s. Swan means awakening the true beauty and power of the self.
Well, now I definitely have enough to meditate on.